Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Pledge and our ABCs

Lunch today cracked me up.

We are asked to eat with our kids which is, I must say, one of the most enlightening experiences ever. Everyone should do it.

I was eating my sandwich when one of my little girls stood up, looked at the flag, and started reciting The Pledge of Allegiance. In the middle of her turkey sandwich.

Okay.

Then another little guy chimed in.

It went something like this, with each of them kinda filling in a word here and there for each other:

"I pledge eeegance to the flag. 'Nited States of 'Merica. And...and..."

All right, that's as far as they could go.

You can see it in their eyes: they need to do something to make themselves feel better since they clearly can't remember The Pledge. You know, The Pledge--this thing we say EVERY day of EVERY year in EVERY school in our country.

All of a sudden I hear a rousing rendition of the Alphabet song, opera style.



Ahh, much better. We know that one.

No comments: