Sunday, November 11, 2007

What Teachers Really Do

I grew up in a family of teachers. Aunts, uncles, cousins, parents--you name it, in our family they teach (and coach). So I never really thought much about seeing my teachers at the grocery store or what they did in the summer because, well, I KNEW...I lived with two teachers.

Once I ran into one of my first-graders at the grocery store. He promptly turned cherry-red and was temporarily unable to talk.

That experience prompted me to ask my kids the next day, "What do you think I do when I'm not at school?"

One of my kids said, "You go to the store to buy more papers to grade."

So...

On Halloween this year my kids said, "Mrs. Overman, I'm coming to your house tonight during trick-or-treating time! Then instead of candy you can give me more homework!"

For the record, none of my kids came to my house. Guess they didn't really want that homework after all!

1 comment:

Sarah Amick said...

Hey, when I get that deer in headlights look when I am out and see one of my pumpkins I say this,
"Hey look, they let me out!"
The parents laugh, but the kid totally still looks just shocked and amazed!